Thursday, October 18, 2007

Writing Laini

My Be brave challenge for today was to write Laini Taylor, many of you know her from Sunday Scribblings or her blog Grow Wings or have a Laini's Ladies. One thing I have a problem is keeping focus on both writing and art. I have been wanting to write her and ask her how she manages to do both. Not only does she do Laini's ladies but she just had a book published and is writing another. i don't know why I was scared to write her but I was, but now it is done... Yippee. Its great to have that done, I have been meaning to do it for months.














I painted a few more sheets of Tyvek to do some paper beads. They actually look better than the picture shows. I found the problem with using tyvek, you can melt the paper if you are not careful. Plus you need to be careful or you will blow embossing powder everywhere. I find the Pearl x hard to use, I need to come up with a better way top add it. I used some foil on one of the beads and that turned out great.














I have a tool that is for holding things basically it a clip on a paintbrush, this made it easy to dip the beads in all the powders and to hold while I added the heat. I can see I have a lot more experimenting to do, but tomorrow is another day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you being brave - Laini's a wonderful artist, author, and best of all - a regular person. I'm so glad to have met her thru the blogosphere. She's very encouraging, down to earth and friendly. Have you ever looked at her 'Not for Robots' writing tips? There are some great ones on there. I think the link to it is on the side of her blog.
You're tempting me with those embossing powders - but I need to wait on buying more art supplies...can't wait to see how yours turn out.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

You know, even though someone is published or well known, in the end they are people. I am sure you will hear from her and she'll be happy you wrote her!
Great job. If you melt the UTEE first you can then dip the bead in to it. I've seen it done with all sorts of things and it really looks almost glass-like. Also, you could add the pearlX powders to the melted UTEE. Just some suggestions. My mom used to make paper bead necklaces years back. She would cut the paper in a shape that tapered to a point and it rolled up really nice. When I eventually go through her things I will have to take a photo.
XOXO

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Now it work's I forgot to sign my name when I told you about the suziblu's link not working. But the way I wrote the Blessing you probably knew who left the messages anyways.

I like those beads. I'm making something with beads but I have to finish first to see if it is going to work out before I post anything about it.

Have a Blessed Week Kate!

KaiBlue said...

I love the beads ..I remember making some about 3 or 4 years ago in an art class, but nothing as lovely as yours Kate, mine were a tad lopsided..lol

Im glad you have a creative soul!
PEace, Kai xx

Anonymous said...

What wonderful beads! I just love them! The tool is sooo kewl! Experimenting is sooo much fun! Thanks for sharing it with us! *HUGS*