Friday, October 12, 2007

Trying to be an Artist

Yesterday I worked on some journal pages and really became frustrated. I have all these pre done backgrounds that I am trying to do something with.


















I was happy the way this turned out. I really don't like pink so it was a challenge to come up with something that worked.














Then I worked on these 2 pages, I was trying to dra a small person and it really came out looking like crap, it ended up being covered up by the bunny picture. These 2 pages have been painted over several times. The right side one needs something else and I think I will let it sit for sometime.



















Then this morning I was looking at blogs and seeing all the beautiful things people do and I thought maybe this is not my thing. Maybe I should go back to drawing or something else. You know how it is when your confidence level sinks it is hard to bring it back up again. Anyways I tried again and I like this so much better than what I did last night. I am finding it hard to draw on this paper, its so textured that materials are sometimes don't act the way they do on smoother paper. Although I enjoy these pages I am looking forward to being done with them. Then I can get to Moleskine journal which has this great smooth paper. My goal right now is just to keep practicing in my journals and see where it leads me.

Be Brave
For the be brave challenge I have been eating breakfast all week so that is good and I am still trying to figure out the video thing. Today I am looking into putting a banner in the header of my blog. I did some research this morning and found this great site. If you want to do anything to your blog and don't know how to do it check out this site They have tutorials on everything you can think of.

Quote of the Day: "If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." ~Vincent Van Gogh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, I think you don't need to 'try to be an artist' - I think you ARE an artist! Your pages look so lovely - all textural and layered with meaning...
Though I admit, I so know that voice in the head, that critic that tries to keep us down -mine is such a spoilsport. I have to tell her to be quiet - sit down and mind her own business, lol - "Do you mind? I'm trying to do something here!"
Just keep doing what feels good, right and meaningful to you - that's the whole point of art, I think.
Love that Van Gogh quote.
Thanks for the link - I've been wanting to do a more personal banner - I tried to do one last year, and I couldn't get the sizing right - it was so huge it took up half that page, and didn't look right at all. I'm going to go check that out now - thanks! XOXO

Sophie said...

I haven't been visiting blogs this week so I'm only catching up today. I'm loving all these beautiful journal pages that you're making. You're blossoming as an artist. I've been feeling the same way as you if I haven't created anything all day. Like something's missing. The journals are a great way to create without thinking too much. Keep working on them. You're doing wonderful. *hugs*