Thursday, October 04, 2007

Self Portrait

Be Brave- My fear for today was to do a self portrait in my journal. I am scared to do this cause when I see other peoples work it looks so easy. I always think mine never measure up and I have never done one in paint. It seems like everyone else manages to capture faces in fun and playful ways. I have always had difficulties with faces. When Suziblu's latest video was on self portraits in your journal I figured I would to the face the fear and do it anyways. I will say that I really don't like it but I will continue cause I think practice makes you better at anything. Now the real fear is posting this, so be kind. I am glad I really don't look like this. I think she is just a tad bit stern

I started by gessoing a page in a moleskine journal. I did a rough sketch in pencil and then started with Delta Ceramacoat craft paints, then added Portfoilio water soluble oil pastels, I also used some prismacolor colored pencils and Faber-Castell Pitt Artist pens for the fine lines.

I had to stay home because there was a guy coming to install dish network. So I made a pot of split pea soup and a big bowl of scalloped potatoes with ham for dinner. The whole house smelled wonderful. The satellite guy said he had to hurry and leave since the smell was making him so hungry.

Then my computer arrived by Fed Ex. At first I still couldn't get the internet to work so I was annoyed. The ended up replacing my hard drive and my wireless card. I had it fixed pretty quick. Now I am just downloading all the things that I need, to get things back to normal. I am so happy to have my computer back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her. I hate doing people always think mine look lopsided.

Olivia said...

Congratulations on being brave, Kate. I like your self-portrait very much, but even more the spirit with which you decided to do it. Peace and Love, Olivia

Julie said...

I see you as not so stern and harsh as this portrait makes you out to be. But you are SO BRAVE to do this. I admire you.

Julie

violette said...

I love it Kate! She's wonderful! I think Suzi blu's videos show you that the portrait doesn't have to look like you in the traditional sense......but it captures your soul essence. Thanks so much for outlining your process. IT gives me courage to try something different too! I'll be posting visual journaling tutorials on youtube soon. This weekend i'll be doing the interior of my home and some other goofball things i'm thinking!

Congratulations on your anniversary Kate. I hope you have a lovely evening!

Love,
Violette

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Belated Congrats on Your Anniversary!

Very Lovely Self-Portrait!

Have a Blessed Week!