Saturday, October 06, 2007

Snow is coming down like its November



























This is what I woke up to. I took this pictures out my windows. It was supposed to rain all weekend, so this is quite s surprise. My grass is now almost covered and the trees are heavily laden. It looks pretty from the inside. The flakes are starting to get bigger now. It doesn't usually snow like this till about the second week in November. This is so strange. Happily I don't have to drive in it.

This morning as I tried to sleep in I thought what is it that I want to do for the Be Brave challenge. The premise is to do one thing that scares you every day. I decided I will do a painting. I'll be using the techniques I learned from Misty this past summer. I have a history of taking classes and then when I get home I don't do it again. I have used some of these techniques in journal pages and ATC's but nothing of any size yet. So that is my goal today and I will post the piece later today.

One thing that I want to start developing is my own style. I think that is what I admire about Misty, Violette, Judy Wise, and others. When you look at their work you can get to the point where you recognize their work. They all have unique ways of doing faces. I often wish I could do what they do but then I do realize that I have to my own thing and that there is something in me that needs expression. I think the beginning has to be I just need to start painting and sharing and my style will develop all on its own without any conscious effort on my part.

I know I have talked like this before but I do find talking about it and doing and feeling it in your soul are two different things. I think that is why this One Thing challenge is so powerful. I use it as an excuse to do things I might not have the courage or drive to do otherwise.


Quote of the Day: "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." ~e.e. cummings

3 comments:

Olivia said...

Yes, Kate, action is so important. I have been big on talk, not action, and thus the Be Brave project is so valuable, because it forces us to move and step out. Good for you in your perseverance.

I love the ee cummings quote. It is so a pros po. And courage is "moving forward" (as in action) in the presence of fear.

I agree with you that your style will develop with time and expression. Great post!

Blessings on your day, O

Anonymous said...

What wonderful pictures Kate. Snow though...uggggg! We rarely get it here but I remember when I was young. We lived in Seattle,WA and BOY did it snow! SNOW can be such a pain to clean up after. Uggg! Makes me think of Christmas though! "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the one's I used to know." I know all the words to that song.That song came from a musical. "Meet me in St. Louis" LOLOL I absolutely LOVE musicals! Ok, onto what I wanted to tell ya...
I wanted to thank you for the wonderful mermaids! I love them! Plus, I wanted to tell you...I admire you and alot of other artist's as well. :)
GREAT POST!
*HUGS*

Beverly Keaton Smith said...

snow? oh my gosh, I've been swimming outside in my non-heated pool! Where are still in the high 80's and I have to say, I love it!
Beverly