Sunday, March 25, 2007

Postcards from England

I got this in the mail a couple days ago. A nice greeting from Kai who is in England right now.













This is what I got at the UM bookstore. Some pens, pencils, paint and a sheet of paper. I got another copic pen and a Faber Casteel Pitt pen. I started a drawing there and needed a better pencil so I bought a new one and an eraser (not in the pic) Oh I also bought this drawing board. I got Sarah one the last time I was there and it seemed pretty nice. So this time I got one for myself. It has a clip board to hold paper in place, a rubber band holder and a handle. They come in all sizes but this seemed a practical size to me.
















This is the first stage of my drawing of hawk I only had a 2h pencil, while at the bookstore I picked up a 2b It is starting to look better. You probably can see where I used each pencil. This needs more work but I thought I would share the beginnings at least. This way you know I do some art.



















Weaving progress.


I have the loom warped, all the bobbins are filled, now all I need do is re do the tie up and I can get to weaving. It doesn't look like much yet. Here are a few pics from the studio.




































Quote of the Day: "When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw." She stared at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?" ~Howard Ikemoto

7 comments:

Olivia said...

Love the quote, Kate.

And the beautiful pictures of your loom.

Anonymous said...

VERY KEWL! I love the hawk! Can't wait to see when it's finished? Will ya post it then? Please Please?? Everything looks really kewl!I never get anything in the mail... *Sighs* So it's great that you share with me this way. :) All the way from England...how kewl is THAT!? I love the weaving progress that you have made. Looks really artsy! I wish I could see it in person. :(

Tinker said...

The drawing's looking great, Kate! Love the quote.

Daisy Lupin said...

Your loom is wonderful, I am full of admiration for people who weave, years ago at college part of my course was weaving, I hated stringing all the threads on the warp? of the loom I just hadn'at the patience for it, but loved the actual weaving part. That quote is priceless. Off to buy some craft supplies myself today.

mrsnesbitt said...

Kate, I have added you to my links on my blog together with fellow glitter sisters.
Dx
Thanks for your comment today!
I haven't been well so it cheered me up!
Dx

Lisa said...

The drawing is great! I would definitely consider the weaving ART, too!

The quote is really neat. I wasn't expecting her answer so I really enjoyed it. :)

Ang said...

ooooh another weaver, although I haven't woven on a big loom for a long while. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
The hawk looks great too.