Saturday, March 03, 2007

National Book Day














I got this lovely collaged birthday card from Kai, thank you. It really is lovely.

I haven't blogged since Thursday morning so this is late but anyways it was National Book Day on Thursday. I found this at Mrs Nesbitts place She was donating a book for every comment so I said I would give my list here. So her it is or at least what my memory can come up with. I started with just ten but decided to split fiction and non-fiction.

Fiction
Pride and Prejudiced – Jane Austen
The Lord of the Rings JRR Tolkien
Mrs. Mike - Nancy Benedict
The Golden Compass trilogy Phillip Pullman
The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
The Shell Seekers – Rosamunde Pilcher
A Ring of Endless Light – Madeleine L’engle
The Secret Life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd
Elegant Gathering of White Snows – Kris Radish
My brother Michael – Mary Stewart
A thief in time - Tony Hillerman

Non-fiction

Writing down the Bones – Natalie Goldberg
Seat of the Soul – Gary Zukav
The Artists Way Julia Cameron
Ask and it is given - Esther Hicks
Simple Abundance - Sarah Ban Breathnach
Return to Love – Marianne Williamson
The Course in Miracles
Wherever you go there you are - John Kabat-Zinn
The power of intention - Wayne Dyer
Conversations with God

THE CROW PAGES ARE DONE.

I guess perseverance pays off, all 22 of the crow pages are finished. They are all packaged and ready to be mailed. I spent most of Friday and some today working on them. Then I had to clean my studio, it was a real mess. That feels so good, now I can focus on other things. I wish I could show pictures but that would spoil all the fun. I have to start work on something for the giveaway this month and then the charm swap and then I have 2 secret project I need to get working on. Plus I need to weave and I'd like to get back to writing. There is just never enough time for it all.

Finding Water. – week 2

I managed to do my morning pages every day. I took an artist date to the local art museum and saw a Watercolor exhibit. Some of the work was just gorgeous They were all Idaho artists. There were several paintings that I would not mind having for myself. I spent some time in the museum gift shop. It is really pretty nice.

The exercise on writing about your life in third person was interesting. First I was I put off doing it for several day but when I decided to go through with it I found it easy to do. I realized that I have all these circles of women that I participate with. There is a knitting group, a spiritual book group, a church group and then my online buddies the GPS. All these groups help me define who I am. I hadn’t realized this so it was really an eye opener. I am loving this book.

Yesterday I got good news, my car has been making these awful noises so I took it into the Honda dealer to see if something was wrong, The problem turned out to be ice. They had to chip ice off the undercarriage and my baby was good as new. I was so happy that I didn't have this big repair bill.

I got these 2 books in the mail this week.














This is A year in Japan by Kate Williamson and it a illustrated journal the year she spent in Japan.. It is wonderful, the narrative is interesting and the drawings are wonderful.














This one is on different techniques you can use in making Artist Trading Cards. Its pretty nice. It has some things I know about, some I didn't and some things I will never use but all the samples make for great inspiration.

Quote of the Day: "Be brave enough to live creatively. The creative place is where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of intuition. You can't get there by bus, only hard work, risking and by not quite knowing what you are doing. What you'll discover will be wonderful: yourself!" - Alan Alda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The card is beautiful! :) The books are very interesting! Thanks for sharing with us!

KaiBlue said...

Aloha Kate.. Im so glad the card got there in one piece..lol..long story.
I like your choices in reading, mine is diverse, but attentive.
The last artist Date I had was Christmas day, going to see rembrandt at the Art institute. I wish we had a more local place to go like yours as I love seeing works from the area I live in. Most artists come out of hybernation in the spring, so Im sure we'll have some shows then!!
I love your quote, oh and thankyou again for my ATc..it's safely in my journal..Glitter girl magic!!
Peace, Kai.

Pam Aries said...

Dear KATE! Your birthday from me is still sitting here! Geeze! Snd Banna's little package too! I must GO TO THE POST office! I am embarrassed!..You have been doing quite a lot! Yay! You finished your crows!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

This week your birthday gift WILL go out!
I am SO impressed your crow pages are all done, I still have 22 blank pages.
I recently received A Year in Japan and plan to read it after I finish The Glass Castle(also recommended by Kai and I'd seen the author on Oprah a while back) I have the Trading Cards book too, it's full of great techniques.
Your book lists are very interesting, I truly don't think I could narrow a list down.
Hope all is well!
XOXO
Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I love how colorful and descriptive the names of your favorite fiction books are. They're all very evocative.