Sunday, October 12, 2008

A little painting


















As some of you know I really like Sharon of All Norah's Art. I consider her to be a real art sheroe to me. When she taught this class and showed her students work I thought, I'd love to learn from her in person. Since I can't do that right now I decided that I would pretend I was there and try to do a little face with a napkin addition on my own. This was done on a 6 x 6 gallery wrapped canvas. I used Golden heavy body and fluid paints, shiva paintsticks,some craft paint, stamping ink and Stablio marks all pencil.

I have debated showing this or not. You see I was not happy with it at all. I kept trying to fix the eyes and the skin and the lips. Then I would make it worse and try again. At one point I almost put gesso all over it. Then it started to get a little better and although I still see a million flaws I figured I was finished with it. I decided to post really because of the Big Draw. Doing all those faces and looking at ones I did last year I can really see some improvement. I think that will come with the painting if I just continue to practice it. So this little one will be my starting point that I can judge others by. I find that I really feel better about my work when I can see what came before and how far I have come. Go look at your old work and see if you don't find the same thing.

3 comments:

Sue Seibert said...

I think it's really cool. Wish I had begun the Big Draw...then I would force myself to the faces...which I need to do.

Lynn Cohen said...

I think this is absolutely beautiful. If this is your starting point I can only imagine how stupendously wonderful your next years work will be.

Today I read in Somerset Studio the art of paper an dmixed media Sept/Oct 2008 by Quinn McDonald today. I quote her:

"Tip of the moment
Be careful about your own word of mouth while you are representing your work. Irony and cynicism may be clever, but they're damaging. If you create art, never use the word "just" or "only" to describe it (e.g., "Oh I just put some cut-outs down" OR "It's only a collage.") Take your art seriously so others can, too."

I really liked this quote as it spoke to me and caught me in the act recently doing just this... So I thought I'd pass it along. I'll post it on my blog soon.

Your art is beautiful and I mean it.

Anonymous said...

I love this Kate. I also love Lynn's comments. Thank you both for sharing!