Saturday, February 10, 2007

Fulling a blanket

I invited a few friends over to hand full the cloth or waulk it. We played a tape of Norman Kennedy playing traditional Gaelic tunes while we worked. They really got into the scrunching action. After the hand fulling I wrapped the blanket around a board for drying. I will press it after it dries to even it out a little. Some of the yarns fulled differently than others. Someday I will either weight all the yarns separately or make one out of yarns fromthe same fleece to avoid that problem.














Molly and Joann try their hand at the process.














Joann and Kay try their turns. You can't tell what they are doing but its basically squeeze or scrunch the wool and pass it to the next person and over and over again.














Here Celeste, Sylvia and Ginger continue the process.















This is the blanket wrapped around the board, waiting to dry.

It was fun seeing some of these women and spending some time with them. It had been a long time since I had seen Joann. She brought some samples of things she had been weaving. Lots of beautiful lace weaves which I forgot to take any pictures of. Ilove reconnecting with old friends.

4 comments:

KaiBlue said...

friends are flowers in the garden of life..
you're teaching us a lot about weaving :)
PEace Kai

Tan said...

looks like fun!

Tinker said...

I'm not clear exactly what you're doing - but it looks like fun!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

It actually looks like fun, gathering of friends, good music playing and assisting another in the 'waulking' of her blanket. Not that I completely understand it all I still find it quite interesting. Connecting with friends is indeed a delightful way to spend time!
XOXO
Love,
Lisa