Sunday, April 01, 2007

Sunday Morning

Its early Sunday Morning, Dave and Sarah left so here I am already missing her. I wonder if you ever get used to that. I should have just gone back to bed but I got on the computer instead. The only sounds are the whirl of the washing machine and the dishwasher and the tapping of the keys. I have plenty to do today.

Yesterday we bought an extra bed for the spare bedroom downstairs. Dave's snoring has gotten so bad I really need extra bed that is comfortable for those nights that are bad. This is self care for me as I have trouble sleeping to begin with. We ended up moving beds in to Sarah's room, throwing a mattress away and storing one in the garage. I need to go out and buy sheets today so then the bed will be ready to use when needed. We bought a full size bed so now when a couple comes to stay we will at least have a bed for them.

We attended the local museum exhibit Ink and Blood and it was more interesting than I thought it would be. They had a replica of the Gutenberg Press, gave us a history lesson and we got to see a page printed. We learned where the phrase "mind your p's and q's came from and why small letters are called lower case and capital letters are called upper case. First this was movable type so after a printing the type had to be cleaned and put back in its individual box. The letters are made in reverse, so the apprentice who put the type away was told to mind his p's and q's as they were easy to mistake for each other. All the small letters were in a case on a lower shelf and all the capital letters were in a case on the upper shelf. So that is where upper and lower case come from. Interesting huh!

Sarah actually got to run the press. She pushed the frame that had the paper on it into the press and then moved the big arm which pressed the paper into the ink plate. It was pretty fascinating.

They had all these different bibles on display including the ones with mistakes. A favorite being the Wicked Bible which states Thou Shalt Commit Adultery. There are also the He she ones where the wrong pronoun was used. They had fragments from the Dead Sea Scrolls which were so small I could not even see the writing on them. Some bibles were illuminated and you could see where gold had been added to the illustrations. It was pretty cool to see. Of course no pictures were allowed so I have nothing to show on that end. I just remembered that I did a little drawing. It is really rough, I am not that good at drawing perspective so its a little flat and of course I did it in three minutes. It gives you a general idea of what the press looked like. It was originally used for wine.














I have been working on my charms. I am teaching myself to do wire wrapping and of course some come out good and others have to be redone. I should be able to finish them today. Then it will be back to weaving again.

I bought some of those Daniel Smith watercolors. I have been on their email list for some time. Every once in awhile they put out a sampler that is really economical. Its usually 3 colors on some theme. I kept telling myself that is how to get some of their paint to try. 3 tubes for 15.95 shipping included is a deal. This one was a Tuscany group that had a Cobalt Blue, Verona Gold Ochre, and Italian Venetian Red. I played with the colors a little on some scrap watercolor paper and they are beautiful. I am looking forward to finding some time to really play with them.

Quote for the Day: "The thing is to become a master and in your old age to acquire the courage to do what children did when they knew nothing." - Henry Miller

7 comments:

Daisy Lupin said...

You always miss your daughter when she goes back to her own life again. After three years at university and three years after that living in London, I still miss my daughter when she goes back after staying with us for a few days. The house just seems to go so quiet. The same with my son. Then slowly you settle back into your life until the next time.

Laura B. said...

The "Ink and Blood" exhibit sounds like it was great---Thanks for sharing!

Good luck with Week Seven of Finding Water!

KaiBlue said...

I miss Kelisa when she leaves, it's like the whole house fall silent and I miss the hugs..
The exhibit must have be very interesting, did they let you take pics?

PEace, Kai.

Lisa said...

I'm sorry you're missing your daughter. My son is a senior this year so I think about that a lot.

The Ink and Blood exhibit sounds really cool.

I keep looking at gouache paints but can never make myself pay for them. I guess I need to read about what makes them so extra special. Getting on that mailing list was a great idea.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sketch! I am going to be teaching myself wiring as well. Please let us know how your goes. What type of wire will you be useing? Bet you'll have loads of fun. :)
Let us know how it turns out. :)
*HUGS*

Cynthia said...

Have you guys tried those snore strips that go over the snorer's nose? My parents slept apart more nights than not for years until my dad started using those. Most drug stores have them.

Good luck!

violette said...

I miss my kids and they live near me......they are not the "chatty sorts".....so i mostly get e-mails from them and see them occassionaly. I can relate to you missing your daughter Kate,

As for the snoring.....G snores something fierce and since i'm like you and can't sleep at the best of times i'm glad he has a machine with a face mask that facilitates breathing. It's not cheap mind you but it is worth it in the long run for the both of you.

love,
violette