Monday, September 11, 2006

The Yarn Harlot

I made the trip to Salt Lake City to see the one and only Yarn Harlot. I wasn't sure if I were feeling good enough or if it was smart to travel all that way just to hear an author speak. Then I remember that I traveled to Park City to hear Sue Monk Kidd last year and after all this was the Yarn Harlot. I had a nice drive down, stopped at the Needlepoint Joint and bought some lovely Alpaca/silk for a scarf. I debated 2 skeins or 3. I bought 2 but if I had Knitting Rules with me I could have looked the yardage up. I was planning on buying it at the book signing.

I headed back into the car and went to Three Wishes and visited with Kristine where she proceeded to entice me with yarns and books and more. I came out of there with a cone of blue pearl cotton and 2 Elsebeth Lavold books. I just love her work. Then it was on to Judy's and the rest of the evening of fun and frolic.

 













Here we are holding the traveling sock. I traveled the farthest so I got the honor.

 









Judy gave Stephanie some of her sock yarn so here she is getting her pic taken.

 









Judy and Stephanie all smiles for the camera.

 










Here is Laurel getting her book signed. More pics are here.

Stephanie entertained us quite well with her humor. I had not laughed so much in a long time. If you ever get the chance to see her don't hesitate. I confessed to her that I was one of those who did not finish the Knitting Olympics and met a woman who had the same experience. We shared stories and it was interesting to note that we were working on the same project The Highland Triangle, maybe its cursed or something. Strephanie said to her "Well you know what happens to people who do not finish" and then said, "Nothing" well you know not all Olympians get the gold. I just commented that its an honor to participate. I know that what all the other Olympian say. After all we all now know that Knitting is a sport.

While at the The Black Sheep Wool Company, for the book signing I managed to take home Knitting Rules along with 2 skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock yarn, some markers and a pattern by Anne Gilmour for a fun hat. After that we headed to the Oasis for dinner with Jill. Then it was back to the train for the trip back to Judy's house. That was uneventful and we were tired so we just went to sleep.

I did not sleep well and will now confess that I got out some of my yarn purchases which were close by to pet while I tried to fall asleep. Ok don't laugh I know some of you have fondled yarn or fleece on the way home from a long trip. It has a calming effect. Well all I could think that night was I should have bouight that third skein of alpaca. So I stopped at the Needlepoinht Joint again and picked up the skein along with that cashmerino. I haven't a clue what I will use it for. They only had 2 skeins, so its only a couple hundred yards of yarn but it really felt fantastic. Perhaps a pillow front, some sachet bags or add it to something else. It has to be aged before use anyways and by then I will come up with something wonderful. Posted by Picasa

No comments: