Thursday, February 19, 2009

A journal page of insight

















I have been working on this page for days. First the black gesso and then it sat for days. Then I added the borders and still it sat I didn't know what else to do it. Then last night I started adding images and words. No I am not sure I like it at all. Maybe the images are now cohesive or something. I think sometimes when we work in an Art Journal we are expecting some great work of Art but that really isn't the point. I think its just an expression of where we are at any given time. I see lots of lessons to learn with this page

As I look at this piece now I see that it has Asian influences like Kwan Yin flags and the lotus and bodhi flowers. They could be telling me to take time to meditate. Then I have the crow and feathers and an eye. Perhaps that imagery is telling me something, something that I am not seeing. Then I have the little girl in the corner and I tend to think maybe that is me when I was young and free to play. Now the word seem to be so more more, where the images seemed scattered before I now see them as expressions of my soul and a form of guidance. It really is all about creating yourself, the self you want to be. Art tends to lead us to places that we had no attention of going to. Who knew the page would be so prophetic for me.


















Do you remember the face that I painted on fabric, well I took it and made it into a tote bag. I had a series of fat quarters and I used them to make a strip pieced bag. The back is one solid color of the edging fabric. Its pretty plain so I did not take a pic of it. I put a small pocket on the inside and now I am ready to haul small projects in it. It will be my first chance to take my own art around with me. I think that will be fun.

7 comments:

Renee said...

Good morning Kate:

I love the bag, it turned out fantastic.

I also really like the collage page.

I think wishy-washy is attributed to Pisces because they are a water sign so when they are described like everyone is in one way are another about their sign (like taurus being bull headed).

You are born under a very creative sign and more than many people must to something creative. I am glad to see that you are.

Love Renee

Janet said...

LOVE the bag!! And I like your journal pages....the words are great. I often find that pictures I "randomly" choose are really trying to tell me something. I'll slap something down on a page and then later look at it and think Wow....who knew!

Anonymous said...

It can be interesting seeing which images speak to us, and finding out what they have to say...
I think often it's easy to put too much emphasis on how a journal page looks - rather than what we're trying to say on it - which is more important, I think...

Great totebag, btw!

Pam Aries said...

Cool Tote! ..And ..I love gesso so much, Now I must try the black! I paint a few page backgrounds first, then when I'm ready to journal I pick the one I like for tha tday.

Zorana said...

What a wonderful bag you created! I love the colors and the way they frame the face. Just beautiful! I completely agree with what you said about journal pages - "expression of where we are at any given time". That's why journals are so good for us, and that's why it is so interesting to look at old journals and see where we were at that time.

Lynn Cohen said...

Kate, I believe your journal page is a good illustration of how our unconscious works, which is how most of my art is created...by simply relaxing the left hemisphere of the brain and allowing the right side to function alone...the unconscious mind surfaces and brings forth what is there to be expressed...often a total surprise to me...but often meaningful and beautiful, always creative.

Your tote is a fun piece with a delightful representation of the women you draw/paint all the time.
Lovely.

risa said...

Love the bag! What a wonderful way to carry your art with you!