Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Something to share

Here is another gem from Christine Kane

Who Do You Think You Are?

You've heard it.
I've heard it.
We can even laugh about it because it's so common.

I'm talking about the snarky voice in your head that mouths off whenever you think about being a little bolder, or a little decadent, or more self-nurturing.
It's the voice that says, "Who do you think you are?"
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but mine shows up as a group of high school girls.

Their eyes are lined with thick black pencil. They wear concert t-shirts. Their hair is burnt from too many home perms. One of them steps forward and says, with her hands on her hips, "Who do you think you are?" And then she turns to the others and says, "Who does she think she is?" Then they all take an aggressive step forward. (Welcome to an average day at my old high school!)

My friend Joy told me that "Who do you think you are?" jumps in whenever she imagines hanging out on the sofa reading magazines.

A few years ago, I saw Oprah speak. She said that every time she wanted to achieve more, the first voice she heard was "Who do you think you are?"

Every woman I know has her own version of this voice waiting in the wings.

In other words: Stay down, play small, shut up, and don't embarrass yourself. Don't even bother because you won't make it, you don't deserve it, and everyone knows it, and they'll all laugh at you when you fail.

So, next time that voice jumps up in your head, here's what you do:

Answer it.

Really. Who do you think you are?

-------------

One time, I was telling a mentor about some fears coming up around a choice I was making.
I said, "...and all the voices in my head are saying, 'Who do you think you are?'"
And he looked at me and said, "Well? Who do you think you are?"

I smiled and continued with my story.
He cut in.
"No. Stop. I really want to know. Who do you think you are? Tell me right now."
In a very tiny voice, I told him.
Then he made me say it again in a bigger, stronger voice. And again after that.
He said, "There. Now you have an answer for your voices."
Now I do this exercise every time those voices arise.

Here's a tip:

When you answer that question, use language that speaks the truth of your strengths and values
In other words, make it authentic.
It's tempting to recite something that sounds "lofty" or "holy." I know you know what I mean. "I am a divine being, living in divine perfection with power and grace..and blah blah blah...abundance and light."

Okay, fine.

True as that may be, if that language doesn't resonate with you, you'll never feel any bolder, and those high school girls with the black eye pencil will put their cigarettes out on your shoe.

The Co-op of Lack
My theory is that "Who do you think you are?" is actually a Co-op.
It's a collective body of voices saying, "Agree with us in the lack that we see! Agree with us that there are no other options! Agree with us that no one has any power over life conditions!"
It's actually pretty convenient.
It's convenient to have this world-view because it gives you permission to stay stuck. It never requires that you do anything about it because after all, you're dealing with a whole world-view!

Think about it.

When you say, "I no longer want to work with this abusive client," you're also saying, "AND, I believe there are multitudes of others out there for me."
When you say, "I'm gonna nap right now, and I will be more productive and happier because of it," you're also saying, "AND, I believe that there's more than enough time for me to get my to-do's done."
Get it?
Essentially, you're telling the Co-op that you've decided to create a whole new world-view!

Extra Credit Bonus Tip

Let's be honest.

Most likely there are occasions when you've been the one saying, "Who does she think she is?" (Even if it's only in your head.)
Don't be ashamed. It simply means that you have more opportunities to shift those old lack mindsets. Usually those mindsets are saying: "I'm feeling small and poor, so she should be small and poor too." We've all caught ourselves doing this.
Even if it's uncomfortable, you can choose to bless or praise anyone who seems to be taking bigger strides in her life. Then remind yourself again who you think you are, and join her!


Performer, songwriter, and creativity consultant Christine Kane publishes her 'LiveCreative' weekly ezine with more than 4,000 subscribers. If you want to be the artist of your life and create authentic and lasting success, you can sign up for a FRE*E subscription to LiveCreative at www.christinekane.com.

1 comment:

Lynn Cohen said...

My " bible" was "Creative Visualiztion" a book by Shakti Guwain...from reading this book (and now prescribing it to hundreds of clients) I allowed myself to become all I could/can be and still do. Postive thoughts, visualization, affirmation reminds me to be and risk and try new things all the time. I never would have started art quilting without it's teachings.