Monday, August 11, 2008

A night at the Pow Wow


















On Saturday I attended the Pow wow put on by the Shoshone-Bannock tribe in Fort Hall Idaho. I had been before but this was way more than I had seen the last time. There were 650 dancers and the paraded into the arena one at a time just like at the Olympics. It was awe inspiring to see. All the regalia they wore was truly stunning. There were dancers from tribes all over the country. I had forgotten my camera so these shots were taken by Marianne.










Here are some of the women dancing. I loved seeing all the different clothing that they wore. Lots of color and embellishment. They also had a moment of silence to honor the Grandmothers of the tribe. That was really neat to see the elders honored with such respect.


















Here are my friend Gari and myself just waiting for the next event.

Later in the evening the audience was invited to come into the arena and dance and the three of us jumped at the chance. It was so much fun, the sound of the drums the energy of all those dancers surrounding us was really incredible. What a great time was had by all. I can't wait to go again next year.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Looks like lots of fun....I've been fascinated with Native Americans ever since I was a little girl. I love hearing their drums and watching the dancing.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh - reminds me of dancing ourselves awake every morning in Taos. I've seen indian dancers here and there (one or two at a time), but have never managed to get to a pow-wow. I'd love to do that someday soon!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I have always wanted to attend a Pow Wow............all those colors and traditions and honoring of elders. I'd have jumped up to dance with you!
XOXO